Road-tripping with kids this Summer? Here is a very basic yet essential list of must have's for the car ride:
- Kleenex, Napkins, Paper Towels OR Cloth Towels (green friendly alternative) - You never know when a miss will happen but believe me it will at some point and especially if you don't bring one of these for cleanup
- Snacks and Beverages - While you might not want to encourage a lot of drinking liquids, you can bet the kids will be hungry or thirsty throughout your drive. Fast food and gas station stops can get expensive so plan for it before!
- Bathroom Items - Hand sanitizer and a roll of toilet paper will be your best friend. These places aren't always the most kid friendly. Depending on if you have girls or boys, you might want to also consider what you would do if the little one decides they have to go and go NOW. It never fails when they need to go sometimes stopping at gas station or rest area might not be an option. I've got boys so I always have an empty bottle on hand and a blanket or large beach towel for keeping them out of sight. Girls can be a bit more tricky and as much as you are going to laugh my parents used to keep an empty jar in the car for us in case the good ole squat method wasn't available.
- Handheld Games, Tablets, or Coloring Supplies - Keep them busy with lots of options to keep your sanity. Period.
- DVD Player/Movies - Another one to keep your sanity. Even if you don't take road trips often or if your trip is a short one, this is well and worth every penny spent. Even children without a lot of screen time, are kept more calmly and entertained with a movie. Believe me, when I first had kids I thought these were too expensive to purchase and now I will never drive another car without one again as long as I've got a child under 10.
- Light Blankets and Pillows - While children still need to be strapped in properly, sleeping is bound to happen depending on the length of your drive. You want them to feel comfortable while awake and asleep. Blankets help keep warm depending on the car temperature as well as feeling cozy. A small pillow might keep your child comfortable without having to fall asleep in that odd position (or it will at least make you feel better looking at them in a better position).
Not only is Paddington now available on Blu-ray and DVD but we have a fun giveaway for your travels! One of A Lucky Ladybug's lucky readers will get a Paddington Travel Pack* to have an adventure of their own!
*(1 ) Paddington Luggage Tag
(1) Paddington Blu-ray Combo Pack